maripau's space

Hi 2 every1!!! You have entered my blog...it would be great if u put a comment telling me what u think of my posts or recommendations or anything so... I hope u enjoy it ;)!!!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pollution on Asia

As I told you in my last post, I'm going to research about pollution on East Asian countries. Why? Well, as I've research, the name of an Asian country is always there, especially China. Also, I've seen many modern things that say: made in Taiwan, made in China or made in Japan. In other words there is a lot of industrial work in Asia, which means there is a lot of pollution. For this reason, I thought I would find plenty of information about pollution in Asia so, here is my post. In ATM I found that almost 25% of the world's population lives in Asia. Also it is continually growing industrially and economically. ATM says, "This has been accompanied by a large increase in emissions of trace gases and ozone precursors". These gases come mainly from China, which even though has a lot of pollution, still is much lower in per-capital emissions than the rests of the world. Recently, Asian emissions have overtaken those from Europe and North America. It is expected that in the future it affects more the environment. Another reason is thought that Asia pollutes so much is that it is much more in the south, compared to Europe and North America. "This leads to faster chemical processing of pollution, and greater deep convection lofts this higher into the atmosphere, where transport is faster and the ozone lifetime is longer". China has a great economic boom that is making a great harm in the environment. According to a study, China is producing almost everything, depleting natural resources. This is what National Geographic says, "It remains to be see what long-term effects the Chinese boom will have on the world's raw materials", and I believe it is true, because even though China has evolved a lot, I don't believe it is stopping for now. China's natural resources are already suffering. Also, china is in the middle of the world's greatest rural migration. As more people move to urban areas, more cars and factories appear. At least governments agree that there is a real problem and they do something about it. The government has added strict fuel-standards that are new.

The pollution in Asia may also affect other countries. In New England, New Hampshire, for example, pollution of east Asia was found once by its East coast, according to NHPR .

Asia might violate new federal ozone standard. Daniel Jaffe, a scientist, went in a plane searching for ozone levels. According to Sdearth Times, they found by Washington an ozone level of 85 parts per billion in a certain height. this over passed that maximum the US Environmental Protection Agency says, that is 80 parts per billion. Also, an ozone level of 72 parts per billion was found in a height that is lower than many peaks by the Cascade range. It is thought that that pollution came from East Asia. Harisa, Arathi and Catrina from MKIS, hope you do some things on the wiki and you can leave a comment here. The same for Tyler and Lucas from Mrs. Baber's class. I know we are all going to do great documentaries.








1 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger hungry hippo said...

Hey!
im catrina, and im in your group on the wiki. We're in charge of writing poems and taking pictures. So if you have any ideas for me, then leave some comments on my blog!
thanks,
Catrina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home