maripau's space

Hi 2 every1!!! You have entered my blog...it would be great if u put a comment telling me what u think of my posts or recommendations or anything so... I hope u enjoy it ;)!!!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Some More About Pollution



On my last post I talked about two types of pollution which are the ones I'll focus on, water and air pollution. To continue my research about them for the Teen Life Project, here are some information and news about these types of pollution.

If you didn't know, pollution started way many years ago, but it actually did not do a great change on the environment.Wikipedia-Pollution tells that during the Iron Age there could be metal grinding. If this happened then particles of metal would fly into the air, polluting it, but just in a small amount. Also, maybe human wastes could have polluted rivers and other water sources. The same web page also tells, "The first advanced civilizations of China, Egypt, Persia, Greece and Rome increased the use of water for their manufacture of goods, increasingly forged metal and created fires of wood and peat for more elaborate purposes (for example, bathing, heating). Still, at this time the scale of higher activity did not disrupt ecosystems or greatly alter air or water quality".


BBC News- Polluted river in China tells that the clay wastes of a disused pit in China was poured into Bodmin Moor after a dam was breached. Imerys, which is the chinese clay producers that had to do with the accident, were helping a lot the Environmental agency because of the incident. Temporary measures are been taken to cover the gap from where the wastes were poured. The River Camel Fisheries Association says that this accident happened in a bad moment. A fisherman said that it will be uncountable the number of fish eggs killed.



World View says that Earth hasn't be this hot at least in 1300 years. Pollution can result into global warming. This increases temperature. The fourth report of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says that the only results of global warming aren't only increase in ocean water and in air. It also includes, melting snow, it affects salinity in oceans, changes in precipitation amount all over the world, aspects of extreme weather, and it affects the intensity of tropical cyclones.

In World View- tropics says, "For many years, it was thought that tropical rainforests were essentially unaffected by climate change. Now studies are showing that not only were they changed during past events like ice ages, but some areas are being affected right now by warming". An example this page gives is Monteverde Cloud forest Reserve, located in Costa Rica. There, clouds are forming a lot higher, drying up air. This causes a lot of it fauna and flora to die.

In my opinion, something has to be done about pollution. I already knew that pollution caused global warming which caused sea level to increase, however I didn't know the other facts, like it increases the amount of air, world precipitation and ocean salinity. Something that made me think how bad things are, are the pictures in the top of this post. I can believe that polar bear is actually in an artic area. I imagine he was accostumed to cold weather and snow, but constant pollution caused fast melting of snow. Then is the picture of the man walking in a dry area. Maybe what happened was that hot winds carried land leaving it dry. Or maybe clouds formed higher in the sky drying the surface, like happened in Costa Rica. Finally is the picture of the big wave. I never understood why sea level increasing was bad, not even when I read this information! But when I saw the picture I imagined what could have happened next than the picture. Houses might have been destructed and important objects mights have been carried away by water. This is my opinion about pollution.

Finally, this information leads me to another part. The rainforests here in Colombia may be affected by pollution. I could research about it. Maybe, for the Teen Life Project someone from other country may research about rainforests there too. Another thing is that if I found out more ways pollution affects Earth now than last time, maybe thereare still more effects that I could research about. I'll see what I can find for next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home